How to Figure Out Who's the Best Lawyer for YOU!
When you are trying to find a good lawyer, whatever your legal needs, it is important that you follow these steps to figure out what type of lawyer you need and what kind of lawyer you want, because just like not everyone has the same favourite sushi roll, there isn’t one lawyer who will be the best for everyone. It’s important you choose a lawyer YOU can work with.
Our tips for how to find the best lawyer (for you):
1. Figure out what type of lawyer you need.
- First things first! Sometimes this is simple. You were injured in a car accident? Look for a personal injury lawyer. You’re getting a divorce? You need a family/divorce lawyer. Sometimes, though, it is way more complicated, and there are so many different areas of law and specialties it can be hard to figure out!
- You need a lawyer that has expertise in the right field of law for your situation, and knowing this before you start your search can save you a ton of time. If you don’t know what type of Lawyer you need, you can try to research it yourself online, or simply ask us at Lawggle!
2. Now that you know what type of lawyer is best for you, start searching! …But where?
- Ask friends and family. BUT only pursue recommendations for lawyers who have experience in the right area of law. If your cousin Riley has a friend who might give you a discount, but they have no experience with your type of legal problem, the discount won’t be worth it!
- Search Google. Your search will likely come up with a lot of ads followed by many law firm websites to browse. There are so many legal professionals out there, it can take awhile to find a lawyer near you. Going from website to website to find the right legal professional can be a daunting and time-consuming task. *Important note: If you go this route, take anonymous reviews with a grain of salt. Lawyer reviews based on personal experience are subjective and not necessarily reliable - or relevant to you and your legal case. Plus, negative reviews are generally posted more often than positive ones!*
- Check lawyer directories. There are lots of lawyer directories out there, including ones from the Law Societies of each province. These will typically lead you right back to researching on Google.
- Search Lawggle! Searching the Lawggle legal database will bring up the profiles of lawyers near you that practice in the area of law you need, so you can browse only relevant legal pros in your area! Browse each profile to see who feels like the best fit for you and get in contact with them by clicking the contact button right on their profile. It's as easy as a walk in the park.
3. Now that you have a shortlist, start conducting interviews!
- That’s right! You’re the boss, and you get to choose who you feel is best for the job! Read on to see what you should consider when deciding which lawyer to hire.
5 important things to consider when hiring a lawyer:
- Does the lawyer have experience with similar matters?
- Do they specialize in the field of law in which you require assistance?
- How were their results on similar legal cases in the past?
- Who else at the lawyer's law firm might be working on your file?
Rates and Additional Costs
- Can you afford them?
- Are there additional costs?
- What is the lawyer's payment schedule like?
- *Keep in mind that a very high rate doesn’t mean they will be the best, but a very low rate could mean inexperience*
- Did the lawyer answer your questions fully and in a timely manner?
Comfort Level (Yours!)
- Will you be comfortable working with this professional?
- Did they make you feel like your case will be a priority to them?
- Will you feel comfortable asking the lawyer questions or voicing your concerns?
- **Depending on your legal matter, you could end up spending a substantial amount of time working together, so it’s important to choose someone you want to work with!**